Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Flâneur Before & After

The winds that have come with the January rains may occasionally blow my windows open, and the hair from Callie's cat may jam up the printer once in a while, but I've still managed to spend a good chunk of the month working in the studio printing and editing and sequencing "Arcana." That project is pretty much wrapped up (I just have to decide on including a handful of images and one possible re-shoot) and now my focus has turned to "Flâneur."

To digress for a moment, I generally create a new printing technique for each of my projects — without being too technical, this can include large choices, such as black & white or color, what kinds of papers (watercolor or Luster), how I work with the images digitally (Lightroom or Photoshop) how I work the images inside those programs (for instance, curves or levels for dodging). While I always strive desperately to avoid trying to be the photographic equivilant of prog rock's overly technical noodling, I do pride myself on being a good craftsman. "Flâneur" is probably the most subtle project I've shot which curiously means that my printing technique has to be even more refined than normal so as to avoid being overly flashy (such as "Bridges of Desire"'s highly-wrought grainy images).

As I sit here staring thoughtfully at test strips, I figured it would be interesting for those of you who follow my work to take a look at some before and after comparisons of some of the new pieces I'm currently printing. The first image is directly from the RAW as shot and the second is as printed.

"Faded ‘Bar at the Folies Bergères’" (As Shot)
Eron Rauch, 2011

"Faded ‘Bar at the Folies Bergères’" (As Printed)
Eron Rauch, 2011
Archival Inkjet Print



"Bird" (As Shot)
Eron Rauch, 2011
Archival Inkjet Print

"Brid" (As Printed)
Eron Rauch, 2011
Archival Inkjet Print




"Garage" (As Shot)
Eron Rauch, 2011
Archival Inkjet Print

"Garage" (As Printed)
Eron Rauch, 2011
Archival Inkjet Print



No comments:

Post a Comment