This light and flavorful soup won't take long to make but as long as your squash is good it would still be worthy to serve for a dinner party. Maybe make some homemade bread to serve alongside? /sagenod You might be tempted to add garlic to this, but it will overwhelm the subtle flavors.
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 ear of sweet corn, kernels cut from the cob
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c macaroni or farfalle
3 crook-necked squash, cut in to 1" pieces
2 c. chicken broth or veggie broth
2 c. water
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1) Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add fennel seeds and onion and cook until translucent and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
2) Add the corn kernels, squash chunks, thyme, vinegar and paprika. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a simmer.
4) Add pasta and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the beans, kill the heat.
5) Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm with crusty bread and a simple salad. Also with plenty of light red or full white wine. This might go really well with a chardonnay (not that you heard me say that!)