Friday, April 15, 2011

Recipe: CSA Bibimbap



CSA Microgreens + Bibimbap + Tax Day = Bargain-Friendly Experiment!!!

Okay, I know I'm going to catch so much flak from hardcore foodies for even suggesting that this recipe is bibimbap, but honestly I love bibimbap because when I'm rummaging through my produce drawers it amounts to "veggies on rice with egg and chile paste" for me (it literally means "mixed meal," so there!) That is, if I don't have radishes, or any other bit that is supposed to go on it, oh well, it's still tasty with whatever I can put in it.

In honor of spring [and because I forgot to defrost pizza dough last night] I decided to use the heirloom carrots and asparagus to make my own bibimbap. But the real coup using the radish micro greens in place of daikon! 




Heirloom Carrot, Asparagus & Raddish Microgreens Bibimbap
Serves 2

2 fresh eggs (preferably close to room temperature)
1 bunch baby carrots ** (The real kind! You can use halved or quartered big carrots if that's easier). Julienned. 
1/2 lb asparagus spears, hard ends trimmed, cut in to 1/2" pieces.
2 C. radish micro greens, washed and dried well
2 tsp (or more) gochujang (korean chile paste)
2 nice-sized portions of steamed rice
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil, divided + more for drizzling.
1 tsp canola oil
Small amount of soy sauce

Optional stuff you can add if you have it: raw bean sprouts, cooked mushrooms, roasted zucchini, raw cucumber, thin sliced cooked beef, cooked shrimp, sauteed tofu, even thinly sliced raw lettuce!

1) Notice that the photo is different than what I'm going to tell you to do. I was playing with making roasted bibimbap. It wasn't better or worse, just different. 

2) Heat 1/2 tsp of sesame oil in a big skillet over high heat. You want this baby hot. 

3) Pre-heat the canola oil in another small skillet over medium-low heat (for the egg).

4) In the wok, quickly cook the asparagus until it is tender but still snappy. 2 minutes or so. Set asparagus aside in a bowl.

5) Add 1/2 tsp sesame to the skillet/wok, let it heat back up a little, and saute the carrot bits for 2-3 minutes, until lightly cooked and still fresh. Set carrots aside.

5.5) Prep/cook any other veggie or ingredient you might need to. Cutting any raw veggie in to small bits. 

6) Fry the egg to your preferred done-ness. I like my egg as runny as I feel comfortable because your going to stir everything together in the end.

7) To assemble: fill the bottom of two bowls with rice. Drizzle a little sesame oil over the rice. Place the half of each veggie around the bowl  — carrots over the rice in 1/3, the asparagus in 1/3, the micro greens in 1/3.put the egg on top of everything, put 1 tsp chile paste (or more!) on top of the egg. Drizzle with a very fey amount of soy sauce (Callie Clarificationa very very slight amount). Sprinkle the sesame seeds over each bowl. 

8) To eat, stir everything together! Enjoy with a mild beer or an off-dry white wine. Or soju — Gom bae!

And I'm finally caught up on the recipes for a bit!

(**As a footnote, I was wondering if anyone else had issues with their carrots? About 50% of mine were amazing and the other 50% had tough, spiky, wooden centers...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment