Thursday, March 24, 2011

You Probably Won't Like It Mix CD #1



So as you, dear readers, might know I occasionally post mixes to share cool music I've stumbled across in my sojourns across the internet. On those mix CDs I have few rules, the two most important are #1: That I have to be actually listening to the music that goes in the mix and #2: That because, perhaps surprisingly, I actually want my friends to find new awesome music from these mixes, not just to show how stunningly cool I am [cough cough] I avoid including much of really fringe music such as death metal or free jazz.

As my wrecked hearing from seeing Acid Mothers Temple last night night might attest to, the problem is that #1 and #2 fundamentally contradict each other. Like novels, music is one of my deepest artistic inspirations. As such if you were to sneak in to my apartment like some sort of creepy-stalker-ninja (or just be one of my unlucky neighbors) you would notice that when I'm given free reign almost everything I listen to would be excluded from a "normal" mix because of rule #2.

Don't ask me why I am going to be so impolite as to post an "actual" mix of what I'm listening too. Maybe it's just the few insane people who have asked for it, maybe it's a vain attempt to fight the demons of bad music made by reality stars, maybe it's a vainglorious attempt to make myself feel cool, and maybe I just want share this shit because this is the music I adore. Whatever the case, here it is, spanning two discs, a collection of some of my favorite music that I'm listening to at the moment. This is the stuff that inspires my art, and challenges me in the best ways. You might not like much of it. You probably won't like any of it in fact. But you've been warned, now if you're feeling deeply adventurous take a listen (and even if it's before noon, you might want to make yourself a drink!)

Here's the download link for the first disc! 

And the track listing for Disc 1 ("Track" - Artist - Album)

1) "Twilight Twilight Nihil Nihil" - Current 93 - All the Pretty Little Horses
2) "Dreamdcipher" - Miseration - The Mirroring Shadow
3) "We Have Existed" - Masayuki Takayanagi New Directions Unit - April is the Cruelest Month
4) "Tyrant" - Thou - Tyrant
5) "Bereft" - Fen - The Malediction Fields
6) "Choir of Spirits" - Obscura - Cosmogenesis
7) "Burning Spear" - Eric Dolphy - Iron Man
8) "Gnosis Unveils" - Withered - Folie Circulaire
9) "Transmigrating Beyond Realms Ov Amenti" - Behemoth - Evangelion
10) "The Ancient Covenant" - The Faceless - Planetary Duality

Hopefully even if you don't like anything, you'll be inspired - I'll be posting Disc #2 tomorrow - That's both a threat and promise!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, found this through the CSA mention. I'm Josh — I was handing stuff out over the last couple weeks (though I couldn't do the most recent one).

    I'm a big fan of both crazy free jazz and death metal (well, all kinds of metal, and I tend toward doom meta).

    Just wanted to say thanks for posting this — I have the Dolphy and Current 93, but have been curious about Behemoth and the rest looks cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh - Glad to hear from you! Sorry my response was late - been crazy busy on my end shooting more photos than my brain can comprehend! I listen to tons of doom and black metal too (really, I'm pretty cool with any crazy music :) On this mix and on the other disc of this mix there are some great tracks, especially the track off Floating Islands by Lotte and his group is brilliant. Also, I don't think it made it on here, but on the jazz front grab "Elliptical West" by Angles and "Souls Saved Hear" by Big Satan. If you dig back a little further I've got a few more mixes, but the TYFT track from this mix rocks! http://eronrauch.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-mix-cd-for-shadows-of-early-fall.html

    ReplyDelete