Sunday, March 27, 2011

Recipe: Double Celery Soup

"Spring In Little Tokyo" - 2011

So, when I was poking through all of the goodies from my first CSA haul I happened to remember this simple recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Bistro Cooking" by Patricia Wells. Low and behold, nearly everything I needed was in the bags and in my pantry! A brilliant soup to serve with warm, crusty buttered bread for these cool, rainy spring evenings.

1 Medium Celery Root (peeled and diced)
10 Celery Ribs (cubed)
3 Leeks (trimmed, well washed and cut in to rounds)
Bouquet Garni (1 sprig thyme, 3 pay leaves, a couple springs of parsley, tied together)
2 Quarts Chicken Stock (or Water - adjust salt as needed)
Salt and freshly ground pepper.
A handful of chopped herbs, including flat leaf parsley, chervil and chives.

Add the celery root, celery ribs, leeks and bouquet garni to a pot. Add the stock/water and lightly season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer until the veggies are tender, around 25 minutes. Taste and adjust salt/pepper amounts. Garnish the bowls of soup with the fresh herbs. And that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment